Sorry for the break -- got some stuff to catch up on here, I guess....
So I don't always do so great at eating my veggies, and when it comes to potatoes it's possibly more frequent that they sprout than make it into a tasty dish. This latest time I left a couple sweet potatoes so long that they really looked like they wanted a stab at life, so I planted them in some 99-cent dirt I got from Walgreens.
The first photo in this post is from a day or two after planting day -- April 23, at any rate. Sorry about the bad focus, I've got a better photo but it's harder to tell how big the plants are. That odd red thing is a twist-tie I shoved into the soil to match the height of the nearest shoot, so you can see it's already started to thrive in the new surroundings.
The second photo is from April 26, after I spent a weekend away. "Yowza" was my basic reaction when I saw the formerly little fellas.
The third photo is from today, April 28. What you can't see too well is that the second potato is starting to take off. Are sweet potato plants ever known to grow legs and crawl out of their loamy berth? Just wondering if I should start blocking my bedroom door closed at night, out of fear of being strangled in my sleep....
ADDENDUM: I've added a fourth photo at a better angle to see the still-petite plant. Also, that's a yardstick, with the tallest sprout reaching to just above 21in when I measure it. No, there's no metric on the other side, take it up with Fireside Hearth & Home if you want to fuss.
2 comments:
Sorry for the break -- got some stuff to catch up on here, I guess....
So I don't always do so great at eating my veggies, and when it comes to potatoes it's possibly more frequent that they sprout than make it into a tasty dish. This latest time I left a couple sweet potatoes so long that they really looked like they wanted a stab at life, so I planted them in some 99-cent dirt I got from Walgreens.
The first photo in this post is from a day or two after planting day -- April 23, at any rate. Sorry about the bad focus, I've got a better photo but it's harder to tell how big the plants are. That odd red thing is a twist-tie I shoved into the soil to match the height of the nearest shoot, so you can see it's already started to thrive in the new surroundings.
The second photo is from April 26, after I spent a weekend away. "Yowza" was my basic reaction when I saw the formerly little fellas.
The third photo is from today, April 28. What you can't see too well is that the second potato is starting to take off. Are sweet potato plants ever known to grow legs and crawl out of their loamy berth? Just wondering if I should start blocking my bedroom door closed at night, out of fear of being strangled in my sleep....
ADDENDUM: I've added a fourth photo at a better angle to see the still-petite plant. Also, that's a yardstick, with the tallest sprout reaching to just above 21in when I measure it. No, there's no metric on the other side, take it up with Fireside Hearth & Home if you want to fuss.
Post a Comment