For Christmas a friend who apparently knows me too well gave me a tiny model set of the current layout of Stonehenge, and that's what you see here, oriented as best as I can figure in the same way the original is. (See? I even used one of those fancy compasses.)
This photo was taken pretty close to the actual solstice point, but it's an on-and-off cloudy day so eh. Sunrise would have happened not quite straight ahead, through the middle gap of those three. But, if you too know me well, you know I'm not so convinced that *this* season's solstice was the real party day of the year.
Sorry for the quality, I still don't have a functional camera other than the toy one on my phone.
MALLOWHENGE. This must happen. (Current configuration, or the original?)
Oh, meant to add in the original info: North-South is more or less along the plane of the window. The opening of the "horseshoe" in the center points approx. 45 degrees east of north. The heelstone would be off in the rock bed on the other side of the windowpane.
5 comments:
Happy Solstice everyone!
For Christmas a friend who apparently knows me too well gave me a tiny model set of the current layout of Stonehenge, and that's what you see here, oriented as best as I can figure in the same way the original is. (See? I even used one of those fancy compasses.)
This photo was taken pretty close to the actual solstice point, but it's an on-and-off cloudy day so eh. Sunrise would have happened not quite straight ahead, through the middle gap of those three. But, if you too know me well, you know I'm not so convinced that *this* season's solstice was the real party day of the year.
Sorry for the quality, I still don't have a functional camera other than the toy one on my phone.
Very cool. I also lean toward winter solstice significance, and that summer solstice phenomena at the location are somewhat of an added bonus.
Hey, use the model as a guide to creating other henges, carved of materials such as Gouda, Dark chocolate, soap, rice crispy treats... etc.
I wonder if marshmallow would be an appropriate henging material?
I heartily endorse mallow of all ilks, especially the marshed variety.
MALLOWHENGE. This must happen. (Current configuration, or the original?)
Oh, meant to add in the original info: North-South is more or less along the plane of the window. The opening of the "horseshoe" in the center points approx. 45 degrees east of north. The heelstone would be off in the rock bed on the other side of the windowpane.
Post a Comment